Friday, January 8, 2010

Under what circumstances would one use a neutral gradient filter?

I'm new to this so the more info the better. What are some good brands? Thanks!!!Under what circumstances would one use a neutral gradient filter?
A gradient neutral density filter is of value mostly for landscapes. When the sky is much brighter than the land, you need to bring the exposures together with the filter.





My friend Tibor swears by them....check out his work http://tiborvari.exposuremanager.com/g/l鈥?/a>Under what circumstances would one use a neutral gradient filter?
You would use this when the contrast between the wood line and the sky is to dark (like during a sunrise). You would put the darker side on the sky and you will be able to adjust so you will have the wood line and it will not be in shadow.





I would suggest using the square soft graduated style so you can adjust them to the scene (I hand hold mine in front of the lens). Look at the ones from HITECH, not to expensive and they come in different levels so consider more than one to suit your needs.





Hope this helps,


Kevin
I know there are times and situations where a gradient filter might be used, but in my nearly 35 years of shooting have never used on. I do however use ND filters when I want to use slow shutter speeds in sun light.





My thought is a gradient filter might be used when shooting scenes where the subject is back-lit and the sky would go too bright if that portion of the image was not toned down by an ND gradient and expose for the back-lit subject (mountains or buildings).

No comments:

Post a Comment